Oct 25, 2022 – By the early 1950s, developers were looking for places to house all the returning veterans and their expanding families. The Ford Plant was built in 1953, and developers saw a golden opportunity. Urban legend states that Oakville wanted no part of this influx of workers and forced developers to look westward. By 1954, developers were looking at Nelson Township, and the Elizabeth Gardens project was born. On June 2nd, 1956, the Developer had its grand opening in the middle of farmland and forests.